Q: Okay, I'm completely crazy about roller derby. How can I learn more?
For more information on modern and classic roller derby, start with the following resources:
- Hell on Wheels chronicles the early beginnings of modern roller derby in Austin from 2001-2003.
- Blood on the Flat Track documents the first years of Seattle's Rat City Rollergirls, one of the early modern derby leagues.
- Brutal Beauty follows Portland's Rose City Rollers through their 2009 season and tournament campaign.
- Jam tells the story of classic derby skaters' efforts to revive the sport in the 90s.
- Kansas City Bomber was Raquel Welch's iconic starlet turn as a roller derby skater just before classic derby turned out the lights.
- Recent tournament DVDs show the best in modern derby action: 2010 East Coast Derby Extravaganza
- Down and Derby by Jennifer "Kasey Bomber" Barbee and Alex "Axles of Evil" Cohen provides a comprehensive inside view of modern derby's first decade.
- Rollergirl is a nonfiction book by Melissa "Melicious" Joulwan chronicling the early days of modern derby in Austin.
- Roller Derby, by Catherine "Jayne Manslaughter" Mabe, summarizes the full history of the classic and modern sport through 2006.
- Whip It (originally titled "Derby Girl") is Shauna "Maggie Mayhem" Cross's fictional modern roller derby tale, and served as the basis for the 2009 film of the same name.
- Roller Derby to Rollerjam provides a detailed history of classic roller derby from its inception until just before the birth of modern roller derby.
- WFTDA website - The Women's Flat Track Derby Association is the main governing body for modern roller derby.
- Roller Derby article on Wikipedia