login | register
Enter your Derby News Network username.
Enter the password that accompanies your username.

you forgot it?!?

World Cup: USA Buries Scotland, 435-1

TORONTO, CA -- After pounding New Zealand 377-8 on Thursday, Team USA got even closer to a shutout win against Scotland today, steamrolling the overmatched Scots by a final of 435-1.

Team USA scored 50 unanswered points in the first five minutes in spite of some good defence work from the likes of Crazylegs and Wild Oates, setting the tone for the bout. A powerjam 8 minutes in when Shenita Stretcher was boxed on a major back block gave Scotland a scoring opportunity, but strong defence from Joy Collision and De Ranged stopped Moxie Emerald from breaking the pack before Shenita was released. Shenita then picked up three points before being boxed again following a tough fight with Crazylegs, but Moxie still couldn't get past the American walls.

Fight Cub started unopposed but was dominated by Sexy Slaydie until Shenita escaped from the box--and then Shenita promptly passed the star to DeRanged, who laid down another 20 points with Fight Cub still stuck, leaving the score at 97-0 with 8 minutes left in the first half.

Suzy Hotrod, Joy Collision, Bonnie Thunders and Tannibal Lector all put more points on the board as the clock ticked towards half time -- but the biggest cheer of the first half came right at the death when Moxxie Emerald broke the pack for the first time just as the half ended, 191-0.

Urrk'n started the second half puttng 25 points on the board in an opening powerjam. After a number of dominant jams, the USA then put the hammer down with a sequence of very high-scoring jams. A 30 point jam for Bonnie Thunders and a 40-pointer for Jukebox moved the US to a 286-0 lead with 13:12 on the clock, as the Scots showed plenty of heart but no hint of curtailing the US scoring rate. More big jams for Joy Collision and Urrk'n Jerk'n saw 70 more points hit the scoreboard over the next five minutes -- but with 7 minutes to go the Marla Mayhem broke the pack to rapturous applause despite the 364-0 scoreline.

Juska was boxed for the USA in the very next jam--but hardly had a chance to sit down before Scotland's star blocker Wild Oates got boxed herself on her first time out as jammer. Oates then snuck out of the box, broke the pack almost immediately, and put Scotland's first point on the board with a little over four minutes left in the bout, leaving the score at 386-1. 30 points for Frida Beater snuffed out dreams of a dramatic Scotland comeback in the very next jam though. De Ranged took the star as the game ticked into its last two minutes, taking the US into a 426-1 lead, calling it with 32 seconds left on the period clock.

Urrk'n lined up unopposed for the final jam and notched up nine points before Clinically Wasted broke the pack to force Urrk'n into a call to leave the final score at 435-1.

The massive score margin ended up being greatly responsible for both USA's seeding at #1 in the elimination rounds and Scotland taking the lowest seed at 13. Scotland will play 4 seed Australia at 5:30pm Friday, while USA plays the winner of Germany / New Zealand at 1:30pm Saturday.

Team USA's roster for this one was DeRanged, Juke Boxx, Suzy Hotrod, Frida Beater, Sexy Slaydie, Heather Juska, Varla Vendetta, Joy Collision, Urrkn' Jerkn' as Booty Blockya, Tannibal Lector, White Flight (skating as Brittney Mathews), Shenita Stretcher, Psycho Babble and Bonnie Thunders (skating as Nicole Williams).

Comments

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

How long has Scotland had

How long has Scotland had roller derby?

2007/2008 I believe

2007/2008 I believe

Donna Mathews?

There are certainly enough Donnas on Team USA, between the 3 Cosa Nostra Donnas, Teflon Donna, and Donna Matrix. But I think White Flight is skating as Brittney Mathews, not Donna Mathews.

Brain cells. None left.

Somehow, I confused a Rose City jammer with the lead guitarist of Elastica. Totally sorry about that.

White flight skating as

Thanks Todd. My name is in fact Brittney Mathews

Is the 40-point jam the highest so far?

Is Juke Boxx' 40-point jam the highest in the World Cup so far? If so, would you call it a world record (since this is the first WORLD cup)?

Not the only 40 pointer

There was also a 40-0 jam for Canada's Killson in the Canada / Brazil game.

White Flight! Or this

White Flight! Or this supposed "Brittney Mathews" person. Either way, she kicks ass!

Running up the score

When is this unsportsmanlike practice going to end in roller derby?

Get your scoring pass and call it off. Is a 40 point jam necessary in a 300 point game?

Point margins mattered more than usual.

thebigchuckbowski wrote:

When is this unsportsmanlike practice going to end in roller derby?

Get your scoring pass and call it off. Is a 40 point jam necessary in a 300 point game?

In this tournament, yes. Remember that point margin was the tiebreaker for the seeding in the elimination rounds.

USA could have been as low as #3 seed if they'd just settled for 5-0 jam wins, considering two of the other undefeated teams in the round robin were Canada with scores of 408-7, 244-17, and 196-26 and England with scores of 273-31 and 199-64.

Unless my math is wrong, they

Unless my math is wrong, they only needed to win by 162 points to ensure the #1 seed. I'm pretty sure there was zero chance of dipping below that mark in the second half even with all 5-0 jams.

Except they couldn't have known that yet.

Argentina / England and Brazil / Canada both happened after Scotland / USA. All they could have known was that the more points they scored the more likely they were to be top seed.

Oops, reading scores the wrong way

Eh, whatever. Either way, they would've been the #1 seed. Even if they tied the second half, Canada would have had to win by like 450 points and England would to have won by 425.

I'll concede this one game. However, the grander point is still there. When are roller derby teams going to stop running up the score?

And then...

World Cup: (2) Canada Squashes (10) Finland, 499-31

when pigs fly

In tournament play, you assert yourself. In ANY sport. In a tournament, your capability goes on record, and teams are expected to play to the best of their ability.
She doesn't look unhappy:
http://derbynewsnetwork.com/2011/12/world_cup_interviews_wild_oates_juke...

It is true

that most female roller derby skaters are not sportsmen. At all.

Snarky reply for snarky reply

The teams that play in this

The teams that play in this World Cup know they will lose big from the top tree. Those can show respect and play their best game or show mercy and hold back. The losing teams are not humiliated since they knew in advance how big the difference is. Playing a team that shows mercy, that's humiliation.

It's the first time teams play on national teams. I'm pretty sure in the future there will be less blowouts. But for now that's part of the growing of the sport.

I'm pretty sure the skaters don't mind. They all know they are part of history in the making.

It's unsportsmanlike in every

It's unsportsmanlike in every other sport in the world. What makes derby different?

And, I'm hardly talking about just this tournament.

You also have blowouts in

You also have blowouts in other sports. Holding back to show mercy is not done in any sport i know. Some of the results of the last world cup rugby:

New Zealand 83 - 7 Japan
New Zealand 79 - 15 Canada
England 67 - 3 Romania
South Africa 87 - 0 Namibia
Wales 81 - 7 Namibia
Wales 66 - 0 Fij

Big difference is that there are about hundred countries in rugby that played interland games and have a ranking. Only 20 passed the qualification rounds that allowed them to be present. So only the top 20% was in the world cup. In roller derby we managed to get 13 teams to Toronto, no qualifications, if you can set up a team you're in. When you have the luxury to select, there are more evenly matched games, since you don't have the weakest and the strongest in the same tournament.

Not talking about blowouts

Blowouts happen. It's a fact of sports. However, there's a difference between blowing out a team because you're far superior and continuing to go for multiple scoring passes in a game that was decided 10 minutes into it for no discernible reason whatsoever.

Please share

In what other sports do players/teams hold back?

I'm in agreement with the above posters. If someone is intentionally holding back against a team they are beating, that is taunting and teasing and THAT is unsportsmanlike. Giving a team your A game tells them you respect them and they deserve your best.

WTF?

Apparently I live in a different universe. Taunting and teasing? Disrespectful?

Football. They pull starters and start running between the tackles at about a 4 touchdown lead. They'll take a knee in the closing minute even if they're at the one yard line.

Basketball. They pull starters once the game is out of hand and slow the tempo. They'll dribble the ball around and not go for a score in the final seconds.

There's the mercy rule in high school and youth sports.

Just for a few examples. If you've never seen a team try to avoid running up the score, I honestly don't know what to say.

REALLY really..

thebigchuckbowski wrote:

Blowouts happen. It's a fact of sports. However, there's a difference between blowing out a team because you're far superior and continuing to go for multiple scoring passes in a game that was decided 10 minutes into it for no discernible reason whatsoever.

Apparently I live in a different universe. Taunting and teasing? Disrespectful?

Football. They pull starters and start running between the tackles at about a 4 touchdown lead. They'll take a knee in the closing minute even if they're at the one yard line.

Basketball. They pull starters once the game is out of hand and slow the tempo. They'll dribble the ball around and not go for a score in the final seconds.

There's the mercy rule in high school and youth sports.

Just for a few examples. If you've never seen a team try to avoid running up the score, I honestly don't know what to say.

As for no discernible reason for going for more points... the points spread is part of what determined the seedings. So there is definitely the point.

If you are not good enuf, either don't play, or play and have fun with it (as they all are).
Mercy rule and participation ribbons be damned.. Work for it or don't get it.

As the last Canadian Game, why did they keep scoring and keep passing, even though it was obvious that they were going to win .. because getting 500 points if fricken exciting, thats why.

I have yet to see the losers of a blowout game go on about wanting the opposing team to lighten up on them. Most are in the same realm of thinking, You do your best, i'll do mine. You don't go into a hardcore sport for people to take it easy on you. It's a kin to letting you win, and no one i know enjoys that feeling.

cause it would be insulting

I've been bested in derby by some of the best- Texas, Philly, Atlanta, Carolina...and not one time did I feel sorry for myself, or my team. Nor did they ever concede.
The first IL game I ever played, an opposing skater offered a whip- and I told her if she wanted to help me, she should just beat me.

I think most DERBY PLAYERS feel the same. You know going in what you're up against- and it is in those moments that teams set a personal goal, one higher than win or lose, to develop themselves and their team, and to forge their team work and trust in each other in steel.

Taking a knee in the closing minute, dribbling a ball around without trying- I can't think of anything that would humiliate me or break my heart more than being treated that way.

These women are not in youth sports- and they don't wear their hearts on their sleeves. I would never dishonor another player in the way you mention. There are subtle ways to be fair- not taking an opp for a vicious hit, perhaps- but what you're suggesting would embarrass those players and rob them of something they've worked hard for.

I'd give anything to be on Team USA- and I'd give just as much to be the only person in a game to score one point against them.

You may have missed this,

You may have missed this, but:

http://www.derbynewsnetwork.com/2011/12/world_cup_interviews_wild_oates_...

Pay attention to the part where Wild Oates says "That was the most fun I've ever had in my life..." after losing 435-1.

And from the past...

"If you're going to get stomped, it's good to be stomped by the best."
Attributed to Militia of Carolina Rollergirls after losing to the Texecutioners 177-65 at the 2006 Dust Devil. From "Rollergirl," by Melissa Joulwan.

I'll admit it

I just completely made up the term "running up the score." It doesn't exist in any other sport. It is not considered unsportsmanlike and, in fact, the opposite is true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_up_the_score

Yeah...

This sport should follow North American standards and sportMANlikeship'ness...NoT! Play it out, learn to get better...then come back and kick some ass. This ain't your Aunt Connie's roller derby or your Unkle Chuck's football.

"The term and concept are not common elsewhere in the world."-D'uh?!?!

Calling off the jam

If USA were to call of the jam after one pass (when the opposing jammer was still stuck in the pack), what would that teach about strategy? I feel that a lot of people are looking to USA to learn and USA should set the standard. This also goes for the other teams that had a high point differential.

I know for a fact that many of these countries learn from footage or you tube videos. I would like them to understand why and when to call it off. I would hope that they would not call off the jam after one pass if the opposing jammer is still stuck in the pack.

We are watching you :)

Stick to your team strategy and call off the jam based on that because we are watching you and we are checking you out..."nek minit.... BOOM!!!" We got U!!! Hurhurhur...

You learn to improve by

You learn to improve by playing the best and I would have been gutted if Team USA hadn't put their all into that game. I'm so happy Scotland was given the chance to play against such AMAZING skaters.

America - F**k yeah!! :D x

(Also Juke Boxx is awesome. <3)

sorry dudes

There is such thing as running the score, and it is unsportswoman like. I don't care if so-and-so or such-and-such say they had fun getting stomped. Or if they say they learned a lot, or whatever. Maybe they did have a certain kind of fun (s&m fun), but they sure-as-shooting did not learn anything. How can you learn anything stuck behind a wall all day?

It may well be disrespectful to throw a game, but to put in second string players, relax the pace or intensity when you have an unbreakable lead is the very definition of sportsmanship. Like MercyLess said above, derby girls are not known for having that quality. Is this because the women of derby generally don't have a sports background? Or some other reason? I don't know. You also have to consider the risk of injury to both teams when there is a serious mis-match on the track.

Just another hurdle the sport has to overcome before it will be taken seriously by the mainstream sporting media. And that is the real tragedy.

How can you learn anything

lacey underalls wrote:

How can you learn anything stuck behind a wall all day?

I bet you learn how to make a really good wall! I'd take the opposite view and say "How can you learn to get through a good wall if you've never been stuck behind one all day?"

Also, tomorrow is going to be awesome.

your logic is flawed, sir

just because i sit around and eat cake all day, does not make me a baker

there has to be a proactive component

speaking of flawed logic

lacey underalls wrote:

just because i sit around and eat cake all day, does not make me a baker

there has to be a proactive component

I dunno,, if we are going to do a cake analogy.. We may as well make it make sense

If i was stuck in a kitchen and had no choice but to watch a baker, bake cakes, all day, over and over. There is a pretty good chance that i would figure out how to then, bake a cake.

Just sayin..

Watching how they move to stay in your way , regardless of what you do. Watching their reactions to the moves you make = learning

good point

but what if the baker didn't just let you sit there and watch, but rather was throwing flour in your face all day, knocking you to the floor, and then letting other bakers make all kinds of other pastries, while knocking you around splashing hot butter on you....wait, let's get out of the bakery, gross

anyway, you can't learn watchmaking if the watchmaker is hitting you with his elbows....

...

lacey underalls wrote:

but what if the baker didn't just let you sit there and watch, but rather was throwing flour in your face all day, knocking you to the floor, and then letting other bakers make all kinds of other pastries, while knocking you around splashing hot butter on you....wait, let's get out of the bakery, gross

anyway, you can't learn watchmaking if the watchmaker is hitting you with his elbows....

This is absurd. We're all talking about a contact sport and you're using violent imagery out of context to hyperbolicly make your point. You might as well compare the difficulty of medical school with being disemboweled in a tea house.
The skill discrepancy isn't as unfair as it looks. Most of Team USA has been playing competitively for 5-7 years, if not skating their whole lives. If they weren't a world better than people who have only been skating for 2 or 3 years it would be pretty pathetic on their part. Pride aside, don't you think you'd feel cheated if you spent thousands of dollars to play against a semi-pro who took it easy and kept her skills to herself?

holding skaters back

It holds skaters back when you try to protect them from the derby they've prescribed themselves to play.

You say tomato..

OK, so maybe in your country going easy on another team is the "done thing", in mine it's a sign of disrespect.

Evey time another team scores against the US it is a real achievement - The crown goes wild, the girl who has done so is a hero. This is much more so because everyone knows that no quarter has been given. Slow down the pace, swap out the playes, and that effort loses it's legitmacy and meaning.

Personally, when New Zealand first scored against the US, I was cheering so loud I'm surprised the Neighbours didn't call the police! It'll be even better when the Aussies start scoring - because we know that when our girls score those points they truely deserve it.

I can understand your perspective in that you hate to see such a large difference in points, but artificially engineering the result of the game to be closer is not appreciated by anyone - and in a sport that is trying to distance itself from the "WWE style" days of the past it can only do harm.

Mismatches and injuries

lacey underalls wrote:

I don't know. You also have to consider the risk of injury to both teams when there is a serious mis-match on the track.

I don't completely disagree with your main point (though I don't totally agree with it either) but I have heard this specific argument before and I have to express my extreme disagreement with it. There is a WAY higher chance of injury in a game between two inexperienced teams than there is in a game between an inexperienced team and an extremely experienced team.

2nd String???

lacey underalls wrote:

put in second string players

Have you looked at the USA roster?!? They could bench the entire 20 skater roster and still have the best team in the world with the 8 skaters that only played in the exhibition. Hell, bench them too. I'll take a team made up of the six alternates and feel pretty confident against any of the teams the US has played so far. Just sayin I don't think there is a "second string" on this team.

And FWIW, when the score didn't matter (now that they're in the bracket), they actually did start calling off jams early. Personally, I think it was less entertaining for everyone involved. Would be interesting to hear how NZ felt about it since they played them in both rounds of the tourney.

Still, I think the biggest thing to look at is how the losing teams have reacted in these blowouts. Finland was absolutely in love with Canada today after giving up 499 points to them! If the losing team is happy, there is ZERO issue with sportsmanship IMHO.

4th string

I'll even go so far as to one-up you, Dave. Bench the entire 20 skater roster AND the 8 skaters that only played in the exhibition AND the 6 alternates. Play with only the coaches, the team doctor, Bane-ana the mascot, and the official photographer. OK, on second thought, that's just silly. NEVERMIND!

talk about unfair...

Plus that's not very fair to the team USA skaters. I mean, they're not good by magic, they're good becasue they work hard, and have for years. "Hey you, you work too hard, you're too good, go warm the bench." WTF? Are they not people too? Did they not also shell out cash for the honor of representing their country doing what they love, just like everyone else? Or are Derby goddesses immune to feelings? Do they not deserve to play just as much as everyone else?

we have a winner!

Dahmer, that's just silly.

how many games did these chicks skate in this weekend?

---

3 full length games, 2 shortened bouts, and a scrimmage, which is pretty standard, if not on the short side, for a 4 day tournament.
All I'm saying is, people are so accustomed to defending the underdog we sometimes go too far and are unfair to good players.

O_o

Maybe because i look at this the wrong way in general, but i would think, being unsportsmanlike.. would be stomping someone and then being a douche about it. But if you are playing the sport, as you would play against any other team.. How is that unsportsmanlike? Makes no sense.. I should concede because i am better or more experienced?

Safety of the players and injury and what not is on the team accepting the challenge or organizers putting on an event (ei don't let severely different levels of players in the same tournament, or if you are worried about getting hurt by a better (or worse) team.. don't play.

But to ask people to half ass it because they are doing well.... again O_o

2nd string players, no learning and injuries?!?! What the?!?!

Lacy Underalls, NZ didnt go all that way to play 2nd string players, we sent our best therefore we expect to play the best. We at home have learnt more from playing the US team then watching the WFTDA championships and our team will bring all their new learning home to us. Injuries happen no matter what, experienced or inexperienced and its those injuries in our sport which teach us what not to do. Im not sure what sport u play but at this level u bring the best, u play betta then ur best cos next time we meet you it wont just be our haka that blows you away, it will be the fact that we scored sooner, faster and hopefully gain more points on ya. AND the bonus would just be to get a chance to pin any of the USA, Canada, England team members behind our walls, AUE!! HE!!

Logic backwards

If education is the reasoning behind running up the score, I think that logic is a little backwards.

What's there to learn from being in the exact same game situation over and over and over again? There's nothing. They got that learning done in the first half. However, the more jams there are, the more chances they have to learn about the most important aspect of the game (the initial pass) and the more chances they have of gaining lead jammer and working on that aspect of the game against the best players in the world. Calling a jam at 5-0, in my opinion, would give the losing team a much better learning experience because it means MORE jams and MORE opportunities for lead.

Also, let's not get words twisted. Skaters on the track should ALWAYS be skating at 100% for both teams. At some point, though, the offensive strategy should turn off.

However, if a teams says "don't go easy on us." Fine. Open up the floodgates. But, I don't think that should be the assumption or the rule.

The USA was calling jams before they needed to today, were they being disrespectful?

Clinic?

Your description sounds like you think the US team should be running clinics once they get a big enough lead. And dictating which lessons they want the other team to learn.

You know what's a more important lesson to learn, and one that can only be taught in a bout environment? Seeing what your opponent's game is and attempting to disrupt it and/or redirect them to play your game. If the US were to change their game, then they would be denying their opponent's that learning opportunity.

This is the FIRST MAJOR international bout

N8 wrote:

Seeing what your opponent's game is and attempting to disrupt it and/or redirect them to play your game. If the US were to change their game, then they would be denying their opponent's that learning opportunity.

THANK YOU N8!! This is the first international bout!!! Maybe after a few more i would understand Chucky's and Lacey's comments but NaH!!! We need big points to set the seeding otherwise we will never know what we have to do to improve our position at each international meet.

I think its SAD that anyone would criticise their national team for playing too well. If the All Blacks dont give 100% and some they get hammered. And if other teams want to learn more, rather than hold clinics they employ the best ones to coach i.e.-Japan and John Kirwan.

I'd rather lose big knowing i played my best game against the best. Then next time its ON!! Roller Derby is still new for ALOT of us, stop jerking us off and let it roll. Come back in 6 years and reflect over that then.

Not the one making the education argument

Maybe you should read everyone else's comments. I was just responding to their comments because I thought THEIR logic was flawed. I don't really think education really has any merit in this whatsoever but that seemed to be one of the main reasons presented to run up the score.

I did

But I responded to why I thought your logic was flawed. Their comments were about why being on the losing side of those scores is not a bad place for the winning team to put the losing team. Your comments were about ways the winning team could change their play so as to attempt to help the losing team benefit from the game even more, but to me your attempts were actually going to hurt both teams, as well as the fans, and I attempted to point out why.

Culture

This is something that has been touched on by previous posters but I think it's worth reiterating: all the sports that have been cited as having "mercy rules" in this thread are North American (or at least largely based in that part of the world). As an English sports fan I had genuinely never heard the term before reading these posts.

What is seen as sports(wo)manship can differ from place to place. If American and Canadian fans see it as sporting to let up on a weaker opponent then that is entirely their prerogative and something for the rest of the derby community to bear in mind. However, let's take the nation of Scotland as an example. The two biggest team sports in Scotland (and many of the other nations in this cup) are football (soccer) and rugby, and neither of which have any culture of letting up on opponents in this way. You play to the end to score as many points, goals, whatever, as you can. I can guarantee that players from the European and ANZAC nations would be much more likely to feel they were victims of unsporting conduct if the top tier of teams was letting up on them.

At the end of the day Planet Derby is still getting to know its inhabitants. It's an exciting time for all of us! :D

"safe" margin? + this is a tournament

We play a sport where 40pts can be scored in less than 2 minutes. So being down by 100 can be erased in less than 3 jams/7 minutes. At what point would you say a lead is "safe"?

It's not inherently unsportsmanlike

I've never heard of the idea of "running up the score" and its being seen as unsportsmanlike. Of course, I have never played or followed organised team sports before derby, so that probably explains why (I am American, though I live and skate in London).

As I've never been aware of this idea before, I can comment on it only based on the Wikipedia page that thebigchuckbowski posted. But that page specifically says that the concept is limited to Canada and the US and doesn't exist in other parts of the world. Judging by the description, I'd also imagine this would be something that girls would be less likely to be exposed to due to girls having less experience competing in team sports growing up. Add in the fact that derby does attract some skaters who haven't played team sports growing up, it's not surprising that most don't have this idea of running up the score being unsportsmanlike.

There's also the issue that we are all still learning derby--even Team USA and the world's top leagues. The sport is still evolving. And it's still hard for skaters outside the US to be exposed to the current top level of play. Experience is incredibly important to skaters in derby, more so than in sports that have been around ages and that people have grown up knowing how to play. We can watch streams of games, but it's not the same as being on the track with experienced leagues. Given that, when teams and skaters from outside the US do get the incredibly rare opportunity to learn in person by going up against the world's best skaters, why would any of them want those teams/skaters to show anything but their best? It would be a waste of an amazing opportunity.

So is it unsportsmanlike to run up the score in derby? I don't think so. Running up the score is not inherently unsportsmanlike; it is so only in the cultures in which it has been agreed that it is. In other words, it's not objectively unsportsmanlike; it's unsportsmanlike to run up the score in a situation in which there is an understanding that it is, because to do so is to break an agreement. Personally, I don't see the reasoning behind avoiding running up the score. Is the losing team supposed to feel better just because of the scoreline? They still know the winning team was better than them; the winning team taking it easy and not playing the game (dribbling around and not taking available shots is not playing the game of basketball) doesn't make that any less obvious. So I really don't see the point.

And it seems most other rollergirls don't see the point either. I've actually never heard a team on the receiving end of a blowout complain about the winning team continuting to give their best to the end (in inter-league play; intra-league can have different expectations). If the culture of roller derby is such that "running up the score" is not unsportsmanlike, then it's not unsportsmanlike. There's no reason derby has to do what some other North American sports do.

I agree with this

If roller derby wants to decide as a culture to always run up the score then that's fine. But, considering people have no clue what that term means, I hardly think that there's actively been a consensus reached.

You point out that teams around the world wouldn't culturally know what it means or would have different expectations. However, the the only two teams that really can run up scores are USA and Canada and the games are being played in Canada. Culturally, those are the teams that you would expect to avoid running up the score.

And, again, I ask. Team USA called jams off early yesterday. Was that disrespectful, rude, or unsportsmanlike? Did they rob New Zealand and the rest of the world of a great learning opportunity? They purposely avoid running up the score yesterday. So, everyone trying to argue with me should be arguing against Team USA and nobody is (I would have liked to see them end jams at 5-0 instead of 10-0 but that's not really the point).

I don't need to argue against the US

I never said I think it's unsportsmanlike, disrespectful, or rude to call jams early or put on "weaker" players when ahead by a lot. I said only that I don't think that it's unsportsmanlike to continue playing your strongest game. That doesn't imply that I think that's the only way a strong team should go about things. Different situations may lead to different choices, and I see no problem with that.

I haven't watched any of the US games yet, so don't know what they've done within them and can't comment on it.

I also didn't suggest there was an active consensus on "running up the score", just that based on actions and post-game reactions, it appears that most rollergirls don't consider it to be unsportsmanlike. In that I mean to include all those who have never heard of the idea, and therefore have never actively rejected it but also have never considered adopting it. And if that's the case, why try to impose what some North American male-dominated sports have decided about it onto roller derby? You asked earlier why derby is different, but I counter by asking why derby should be the same. Is there any reason to think that is the right way?

It's also worth considering...

... that there has probably been an element of mind games between the USA, Canada and (to an extent...) England during the early stages of the tournament as well. The power teams will have wanted to rack up some big scores to try to gain a psychological advantage over each other going into the business end of the tournament. Even if we accept that running up the score for no reason is inherently unsportsmanlike (which I and it seems most posters on here don't at all, but stay with me on this...), surely we can't criticise teams for running up the score for a (more or less) legitimate sporting reason? Canada's win last night gave them the highest winning margin of the tournament so far, and if that fact gives even an infinitesimally small boost to their state of mind in the final day's play then I don't seem how anyone could begrudge them it.

Like USA

needs to play mind games. They'll win the final by at least 100 points.

think of the fans!

Speaking from the perspective of fans,( being a volunteer who has collected thousands of fan surveys and being one myself) not playing, or playing in a boring manner just because you know that you are going to win is maddening. These people paid money to watch Derby, and the best way to give them their money's worth is to actually do so. If I were an athlete active in Derby and I were losing, I'd feel insulted, taunted, and mocked if the other team "took it easy" on me. That's pretty much wordlessly saying that the losing team is not worthy of the winning team's actual play style. I see that as disrespect and douchebaggery, which is far more unsportswomanlike than running up the score. This isn't elementary schools field day, it's Derby.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I agree with
missyleElliott
I don't think that it's unsportsmanlike to continue playing your strongest game
dezzaster
I'd feel insulted, taunted, and mocked if the other team "took it easy" on me.

Derby is not like other sports. Thats what attracted me/us in the first place. The thrill we got when we got from seeing our first game came from its uniqueness, the names, the DIY nature etc. It broke rules of traditional sport. It was a blend of sport, camp, fashion, art. AND it was FUN. Not to mention how accessible it was. In that it allowed women everywhere to participate. They went home and started their own team/league even if they lived in the middle of nowhere. It grew from one game in Austin. To a game with hundreds of teams around the world. To now a world cup tournament in just a few short years.

The difference this game was created by women.
Women blow kisses men talk Sh*t. I've seen women jammers on the track losing by 170 points blowing kisses to the crowd. I've seen mens teams lose by 12 points and do nothing but bad mouth the winning team. The best thing is to stop trying to change it to make it look like other sports. Lopsided wins is part of the game and that uniqueness. The only opinion that matters in a lopsided game is the opinion of the losers. Why don't we settle down and let the women show us what love of the game and sports(wo)manship really means.

Moreover, there is recent push to change it to look like other sports and make it palatable to the mainstream. The business of changing the rules to prevent lopsided wins, the discussion of losing the names to make it marketable are just a couple of the issues that come to mind. You start changing its uniqueness of this game and you change it from the game we love into some sanitized version which may not have the same appeal.

The best anyone can do is leave it alone.

Perspective.

Running up the score is a concept that exists -- in the United States it's found primarily in youth soccer leagues where a margin of victory that is too big makes the little kids feel badly. These are grown women, world-class athletes and it's patronizing to think that they need to have their feelings protected.

Coming into the World Cup, we all knew the U.S. was the likely dominant team. They deserve that spot - and they also deserve to hold records that won't be broken anytime soon. The gap will narrow as other countries develop their leagues and competition becomes more level in the coming years. It's inevitable. For now, I was content to look at the smiles on the skater's faces as this tournament came to a close. This has been good for everyone - and most of all for the sport we all love.