Seven years of recaps, previews, comprehensive score listings, analysis articles, It Ain’t At All Like Being There™ live text boutcasts, Power Rankings, OUTRAGE!, string-and-tin-can video streams, then with score and clock overlays, then with multi-camera switching. Seven years of incredible people — hundreds of them — pulling together to do incredible things with incredibly inadequate resources, all out of a shared love for this sport and its community.
Seven years is enough. As of today, Derby News Network is retired.
It has been a terrifically rewarding experience, building a site and a community and a family. It has also taken a terrible toll on the principals who built it and held it together: in stress, in emotional and physical health, in personal finances, in our availability to our families and friends. We’re not here to linger on these costs, but we’ve decided, together, that we will no longer bear them.
Here’s what happens now:
- The DNN website will remain up for the near future, but will no longer be updated.
- All written content on DNN is already shared under the CC-BY license, which means anyone can reuse it for any purpose, so long as it is credited. Attribution must take the form of “By [author name] for Derby News Network”. Scrape away.
- Please remember that photographs on the site *may not* be used for any purpose, because the photographers licensed them to DNN only for use on DNN. We cannot stress enough how important it is that you respect the rights of these creators.
- We’ve cancelled out all recurring contributions in Paypal, so ongoing donors will not be debited any further.
- We’re giving the full contents of the Derbymatic bout database to the great people at Flat Track Stats, in case there’s any of it that they don’t already have.
- Derbylife will live on independently under Em Dash’s continued stewardship.
We’d really like to list every single person and entity who has contributed words, voices, photos, scores, logistics help, sponsorship support, personal funds, reputations, and love to create DNN — but that list would run to over a thousand names, and couldn’t possibly be complete.
You know who you are. We love you like family.
We invite you to join us in memoriam on the DNN facebook page with your memories and photos.
In the final tally, let the recap note that we played our hearts out and left it all on the track.
Gnosis, Justice, Mercy, Hurt, Dash, and Lex